Mission: To write an essay on (insert elaborate topic of desperation/ choice here) by (deadline inflicted on innocent students by sadistic professor(s)).
What the ideal student does:
1)Spends some time analyzing the essay prompt after which (s)he creates a draft outlining the initial ideas buzzing around the organ where the little gray cells reside.
2) Makes a plan of action which illustrates how much work needs to be done each day, in order to finish the essay two days before the deadline. Proof reading is important after all.
3) Visits professors’ office hours and inundates the TA’s inbox with inquisitive emails.
4)Does research- lots of it- and is friends with The Library and its formidable guardian, The Librarian.
5) Avoids using Google Scholar because (s)he knows how to utilize the help of The Library’s cousin, The Online Library.
6) Uses correct grammar and concise language.
7)Monopolizes office hours and TA mailboxes some more.
8) Temporarily feels guilty for this.
9)Delights the folks at the Writing Center with his/her company. Everyone deserves happiness and joy.
10) Proof reads. Multiple times. Three days before The Deadline.
What the rest of us do:
1)Glance at the essay prompt. Then spend twenty minutes of Facebook.
2)Check out the latest from the Trolls on Twitter and a (presumably sensible) few others.
3) Complain about how much university sucks and how the professor is out to “get us”.
4) Worry about what everyone else is doing. Panic calmly.
5) Scare ourselves silly based on what other people say they are doing on social media.
6) Try an ask a somewhat intelligent question in course groups on aforementioned social media.
7) Get coffee at (insert name of cheap caffeine supplier). When feeling Rich (or Foolish), visit Starbucks.
8) Panic frantically (two days before the deadline) when we realize we have no content to write an little time to think.
9) Start writing. Share tips on Facebook for “struggling students” while having absolutely no idea about how to proceed ourselves. Who said groping in the dark was worthless?
10) Start considering the merits of the Late Penalty. Pull one (of many) All Night-er.